Personal advocacy is available on a case by case basis with approval through the program director.
Personal advocacy examples (this is not a complete list of our advocacy work):
- IHSS: assessments, denials and appeals
- Housing: landlord tenant dispute, service animal issues, access issues, credit issues
- Income: SSI/SSDI appeals and requests for reconsideration,
- Employment: reasonable accommodation
- Health Care: access to services, durable medical equipment denials
- Education: Individual Education Plans
Systemic Advocacy is a service offered by all independent living centers in California. Systemic advocacy attempts to change laws and attitudes surrounding disability. RIL has a full time Systems Change Advocate whose main job is to organize consumers with disabilities to advocate on their own behalf for improvements to programs and services they use to live independently in our community. RIL also organizes public testimony on policy regulations related to independent living.
Want to get involved in improving the lives of persons with disabilities?
Come to the DOGFITE
RIL in Action